Battleshed Diaries

Wednesday 6 May 2015

The Martians are coming!



Doh! Just as I thought my shopping list was all set for Carronade '15 on Saturday - the annual wargaming show from Falkirk and District wargames club - an enticing free, 17 page supplement has been added to the In Her Majesty's Name Bonus material page, The Martian Invasion!

For me, this hits the sweet spot - VSF and aliens! I can see another burst of miniature purchasing coming on.

I've always been a big fan of the original HG Wells book, along with the various film, TV, radio, musical and genre literature produced over the years. Maybe my purchasing of Sarissa SF buildings recently was spookily prescient.  The Martian Invasion, by Craig Cartmell & Charles Murton, (first published in Great Britain in 2015 by Wargames, Soldiers& Strategy Magazine, issue 76), introduces the supplement as...

...a mini-supplement to the Victorian Science Fiction skirmish wargame rules In Her Majesty’s Name. It is not intended to be part of the core rules but rather to provide a “what if” excursion. Any Companies from IHMN (or its supplements Heroes, Villains and Fiends and Sleeping Dragon, Rising Sun) can be used as part of the resistance to the Martian Invasion. In this publication we provide an outline setting, some Martian technology, lists of both Martian and Resistance forces and some ideas for game scenarios.
As you'll see, we deliberately haven’t described the Martians and have given only vague descriptions of their technology; in IHMN we encourage you to use your imagination to adapt and invent in order to extract the maximum enjoyment from your games.

Whilst I'm at Carronade'15, I'll be helping out Arabianknight with his Songs of Blades and Heroes 6'x4' table publicparticipation games, where he plans to run two 15mm skirmish boards with pre-built lists which will, of course, include Dwarves. I'll be with them. When I'm not doing that, I'll be away rummaging through the many trade stands, now with an emphasis on Martian miniatures!


3 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing some Martian AARs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I even bother with a painting schedule! I never learn...oooh, shinies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting schedules are like diets - there to be broken!

      Delete