Battleshed Diaries

Wednesday 24 June 2015

Painting the sky



With my second game of Wings of Glory due to be played this week, I decided to whip up a suitable playing surface. As most of my games are ground based, I really don't have anything that could be distinctively 'aerial', so with time being short before the next game I've used my trusty (and relatively cheap) method of creating a gaming surface.

Regulars to the Battleshed will know I have a stack of 2x4 hardboard/fibreboard sheets that I have painted in various colours, some with a little sand texture, that represent different themes. I usually paint two sheets together, making  a combined 4x4 surface, and once dry I finish with a matt varnish.

I find this a quick method of producing a themed gaming area, which sits on top of the permanent Battleshed table. The hardboard sheets retail around £2 each and are light and easily carried. They aren't rigid enough to be the main support board, otherwise you could find your miniatures being mysteriously catapulted out of the battle! But for an interchangeable gaming surface it works for me!


As you can see, my Wings of Glory#1 boards are simply brush painted a couple of coats of sky blue, or the nearest I could get to it from the discounted end-of-line shelf in my local hardware store (£3), and topped off with a little white spray paint. Nothing fancy but I think they'll do the job. Versatile and cheap, that's me! I've plenty of blue paint left over now...oh wait, Sails of Glory...!

4 comments:

  1. I have a few planes - we will have to have a game sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed David. Just post up on the Battleshed Carnage forum or PM me. We're well overdue for another game together It was Dux Bellorum last time, a good few moons ago!

      Delete