Battleshed Diaries

Sunday 29 March 2015

Outlander



As an occasional aside, I'll highlight other aspects my interests or activities away from the tabletop that have caught my attention recently. So I'll start with the easiest platform.  TV drama.

If you're looking for an  easy going, standard romantic/light adventure romp...then Outlander isn't for you!
While on a second honeymoon in Scotland with her husband after World War II, army nurse Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) steps through an ancient standing stone circle and awakes in 1743, where Scottish rebels save her from an assault by a royal army captain who happens to be her husband's ancestor, only to take her further into the Scottish highlands.

Intriguing storyline, adult themes, script and direction that refreshingly allows room for some broodingly effective and powerful episodes such as 'The Garrison Commander'. It portrays a sincere attempt at historical accuracy, without consciously indulging in cliché. Effective sound scape too, and - above all - enhanced by being filmed in the real Scotland!

It's a slow burner from the start, but wow, it rewards! I wasn't aware of the books by Dianna Gabaldon but will now investigate. Definitely filed under the 'Guilty Pleasure' section! I watched it via Amazone Prime, UK. [RATING 18]

2 comments:

  1. This had passed me by completely but I shall now have to check it out. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy it Gordon. Although I warn there are some adult scenes - not to be watched if children are around ;)

    ReplyDelete